View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 PM  
duff
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shap View Post
The problem with comparing to mainstream is, from what I've read, most of them are not having any success online. The music industry, for example, is screwed. I've yet to hear of anyone reporting huge success broadcasting content online. So DRM or not the $$$ and profit are not rolling in. In fact if you research deeper you'll see many people seem to agree that if the Music industry would have listened to their users demands and requests they'd be less screwed today.

There is a constant push towards things becoming free. It happens in most industries. It's happening in ours. When the push accelerates towards free the answer isn't to limit what you offer but instead to increase what you offer and live with the new profit margins that emerge. That is exactly the situation our industry is in right now.
I agree with you 100%... plus it's hard to compare a mainstream TV business to ours, being that they can sell advertising on their shows and we can't. I was saying that they obviously have a DRM solution that works, whether they are profiting from it or not is another story.

But I think you hit it dead on in your second paragraph. Plus combined with what Dean is talking about, there are lots of ways to keep members interested in your site.
duff is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote