View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 01:04 PM  
Paul Markham
Too old to care

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shap View Post
Free may beat me. But by doing things the way we are we'll still be in business while free will put alot of others out of business.
Few markets are driven by giving things away for free. If you think it works and going to tell me about TV, go check your cable bill. You pay for your TV viewing today and it only worked for a short time as "free". The problem is when the costs of part of a service are so heavy that it becomes viable to give the product away to get away from that cost.

The cost of traffic has made it viable for sites who don't have this cost to give away the content we are forced to sell to get the traffic they get for free. We are forced, willingly maybe, to charge members around $30 for a months membership so we can pay for the traffic we need to get that price. Do all sites warrant a 30 day membership or do all members want a 30 day membership? I would say the answer in many cases is no. But we have to charge it to pay the cost of traffic.

Tubes don't have that cost and can steal, beg, borrow or share content for free and profit off the meager sign ups from dating, cams and the few paysites that operate. And our reaction is to sit and moan on board after board because we are unable to compete. It has nothing to do with the cost of content, even Twistys which has some of the best content around still spends way more on traffic. Tubes exist and flourish because we as an industry do little but moan and refuse to change the way we work, while clinging on to the dream we will sue Tubes or locking down content will bring their demise.

The only thing that will bring their demise is to win back some of the 0.05% of their surfers who spend money to our sites and make Tube sites unprofitable to operate. Even legal ones with 20 minute clips.

Or sit on GFY and moan and dream it makes a difference.
Paul Markham is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote