View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 PM  
leedsfan
leedsfan

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfoo View Post
leedsfan, this really interests me. Yes, according to wikipedia humans supposedly have 5 senses:

1 Sight
2 Hearing
3 Touch
4 Smell
5 Taste

I'm just thinking that the computers right now transmit sound and sight. What about people like Hellen Keller? She was deaf and blind, but she was still smart. I'm just thinking that there must be some way for the communication device to transmit through more senses, this is interesting.

Actually, the computer/monitor/screen/TV can be used effectively to show the real life events (not just fiction) and I think this is very important. We have live news on the screen with sound and sight. At web sites such as Youtube, it is even possible to see a live video taped concert, like with a band Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Actually, seeing a concert on a monitor screen is not much different from real life, because it is sound and sight.

I don't want to touch, smell or taste the performers. Thank you.
Technology exists for both touch and smell transmission. As I said before Imax and others (Disney/Universal Studios) have created movies in which you not only see and hear the movie, but can smell it around you, and even have instruments inside and under the seats which can prod/brush/blow air at you while you watch.

I envisage full reality suits in which viewers step into during movies that put you 1st person as a participant in the movie. Dialog can even be created around your character to include you, which you would use through some teleprompter on your visor.

Very expensive, but once the technology is in play it gets cheaper and cheaper to reproduce until its used universally.
leedsfan is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote