View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 AM  
Eric_at_Orgasm

Industry Role:
If you can't beat 'em join 'em

The issue of content theft can easily cause emotions of anger, hate, and frustration - especially if it's your content that is being stolen!

Producers and buyers of content spend a great deal of money, time and creative energy to make this world a better place by creating unique, interesting and alluring content. In the adult industry this becomes harder to do each day as new companies keep pushing towards new frontiers. Finding out your content is available for free or being sold by someone unauthorized to do so is a formula for burst blood vessels!

What solution is there if you are a content producer and after spending thousands of dollars and dozen of hours to make a film that is of high quality only to see it listed everywhere for free?

The adult industry would benefit greatly by adopting the eventual solution the music industry has recently put in place which is - "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

Consider iTunes business model. They offer high quality music downloads form a trusted source at a very inexpensive price.

In a market condition where music listeners could download, for free, high quality songs via p2p and other file sharing programs - the music industry had it's work cut out for them.

Several artists, record labels, and other industry players who all had a monetary interest at risk tried at first to fight back. Legal suits were filed but never amounted to any significant change. Pleads for pity "please support the artists" were ignored or laughed at. CD prices were slashed, but still the end user did not respond.

As in all great shifts of power, a new contender emerged. iTunes saw an opportunity and have successfully seized control by offering the end user what they want. - As the saying goes "the customer is always right".

Offering the user high quality downloads was something that was already offered by the p2p networks. What sets iTunes apart is the convenience and security factor. It takes time to download a song off limewire or bit torrent, then copy it your mp3 player or ipod. Also, the risk of viruses or faux songs (I myself uploaded one of my own songs and named it "TOOL's unreleased track!" and received many downloads so I could spread my musical seed) is always a factor to consider.

Charging a small amount for a small increase in convenience and the piece of mind of knowing what you are downloading from iTunes is the 'real deal' - allows iTunes to flourish and dominate the music industry.

Bringing this back to the adult world. Content producers can steer around the issue of content theft and piracy by offering the end user high quality product, that is convenient, from a source they trust, for a SMALL [pun intended] fee. As long as you don't make the mistake of instituting shady 50 site x-sales, or $.99 2 day trials that convert at $59.99 -and truly meet all of the customer needs - you will certainly have success.
Eric_at_Orgasm is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote