View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM  
Yanks_Todd
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I only use CCbill for my outgoing traffic. The reason for this is because of a rather distasteful experience I had with them as a party sponsor a number of years ago at the Phx Forum.

I don't hate them, but I also think it's telling of the state of our industry that CCbill is getting props for:

#1 paying on time - You should pay people their money on time

and #2 not processing for a service that essentially sells CP.

On #2 they should have stopped processing for services that are selling stolen content whether or not the content is illegal in its own regard.

CCbill is one of the most powerful companies in the industry and could wield that power against many of the threats that this industry has faced. And while I wouldn't' say they have stood on the sidelines, I also wouldn't say they have been the leaders they could be and should be in protecting that model that made them who they are.

The "working" model is simple, there are legit players - (content producers, models, traffic providers, content delivery networks, service providers and surfers) and illegitimate players - (Patent trolls, TLD trolls, bogus service providers, content thieves and scammers (either people who scam from webmasters or surfers)

That list probably isn't exhaustive

I can think of many companies who in EVERY case align themselves with the legit players and do everything possible to protect the working model that we all strive for.

I do.

I am not saying CCbill is in cahoots with anyone in particular or anyone at all, or that not protecting that working model is part of a well thought out plan on their part.

What I am saying is that I am not sure if they do everything that they can to protect the working model.

They could and should do more. Paying on time is great and the file locker shut downs were a great step, but those things should have happened as a part of doing acceptable business.

What's next?