View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM  
GrantMercury
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
I think you already know the answer to that if you can think clearly about the subject.

I am required by LAW to put aside money for my old age. The govt. collects it.
I retire. I should get my money back.

Theoretically that is what is supposed to happen. I put "x" amount in, and get "x" amount back.

Social Security would break even and be solvent.

But when I put "x" in...a hundred thousand other people put in a tiny amount...then trouble starts.

Which is why they have to keep figuring out ways to keep Social Security solvent.

Now, if the big plan is to take MORE of my money to pay for freeloaders...then it's welfare.

If you like the idea of that and think that you and I should pay for other people...then that would be another discussion/debate.

Otherwise...NO, MY money is not "Theirs". Their money is theirs. If I pay in a couple of hundred thousand...I should get it back when I reach that age.

If not...then it's just a straight up tax for welfare. Nothing more.
Oy. You will get it back. And if people aren't contributing - they won't.

If someone is working and putting in less because they work in fast food - they get less.

[QUOTE]Social Security benefits are based on the earnings on which you pay Social Security payroll taxes. The higher are your earnings (up to a maximum taxable amount, currently $110,100 and slated to rise automatically to $113,700 in 2013), the higher will be your benefit.[/QUOTE

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3261

Happy now?

And if someone is totally or partially disabled, and are eligible for SSI disability, then yes, it's possible that they will take out far more than they contribute, particularly if they are disabled at a young age. Lucky them, right? Living off our sweat. They've got it made. Must be like hitting the lottery.
GrantMercury is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote