View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM  
Half man, Half Amazing
Confirmed User

:stop Should you work with Leaseweb if you produce content?

The short answer is No. Unless you're cool with a company that turns a blind eye to rampant copyright infringement. And before you apologists start trashing me, keep in mind that this very same Leaseweb was recently INVITED to speak on a panel at Internext moderated by our beloved Brad Mitchell. However, when confronted with the facts about how Leaseweb could care less about people stealing and monetizing your content...Brad went into "Human Shield" mode for Leaseweb.

And for the record, I REALLY like Brad...but there were content producers in the audience who wanted to know whether or not they should do business with this Leaseweb company. And the Leaseweb representative would not even answer the questions posed to him, except to look content producers in the eyes and lie to them. Bros indeed!

So those of you who don't care about respecting other people's intellectual property can trash me and this thread and stick up for your bros who would just as soon rip you off as anyone else, but here's the facts:

Here's a site hosted by Leaseweb:
3xupdate.com

There's give or take 16,000 DVDrips being distributed via that site. The owner of that site makes no bones about ripping off content and even reuploading the content that is reported:
Quote:
"12/17/2012: These days I?m getting too many reports dead links so new updates will be delayed. The reason is: over 4000 links deleted last month and this month I got around 2000 links deleted due to DMCA"
Quote:
"This week I got around 1500 links deleted due to DMCA so new updates will be delayed when I?m re-uploading these movies."
Quote:
"Without the money we will stop uploading and you won?t have any movie in the future. Due to SOPA, PIPA very hard to run a warez site nowadays."
So what happens when you report this site to Leaseweb? Here's the form letter you get:
Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,
In response to your complaint I inform you.

Thanks for contacting LeaseWeb. LeaseWeb has a policy banning illegal
distribution of copyrighted material.

In order to process copyright infringement claims, please ensure your
claim adheres to the Dutch Notice and Takedown Code of Conduct. This
means you have to first contact the infringing website, only if they do
not reply or their reply is unsatisfactory you can escalate to the
hosting provider. Please include a copy of your communication(s) with
the website when you file your claim again.
Failure to adhere to the Dutch Notice and Takedown Code of Conduct will
mean that we will request you to first contact the infringing website.
This will result in a considerable delay in processing your complaint.
As you have not indicated or proved you have tried to contact the
website please follow the procedure as described above, please allow 5
working days for a response from the website. If you have not received a
response after 5 days you can contact us again. Please provide proof you
contacted or tried to contact the website so we can process your claim
expeditiously.

If you have already done all the above, then please respond to this
message, so your ticket will open again, and your claim can be
processed.

Please do not forget to add the IP address of the abuse domain/link in
the complaint for fast processing.
So what happens if you do EXACTLY as Leaseweb requires? What happens if you include the IP address, email the site owner directly, wait 5 days and still no response? Here's the form email you get from Leaseweb:
Quote:
Thanks for your mail to [email protected]. We have processed your mail and contacted our customer with a request to review your complaint and take appropriate action.

We have closed this ticket.

Kind Regards,
LeaseWeb Security, Abuse and Incident response Team.

LeaseWeb B.V.

P.O. Box 93054
1090 BB Amsterdam
The Netherlands

E: [email protected]
T: +31 (0)20 316 2880
F: +31 (0)20 316 2890
W: http://www.leaseweb.com/
They contact the pirate. Assuming this means they forward the email. That is it. If the pirate does nothing, what does Leaseweb do? The same - nothing. They will take NO ACTION whatsoever.

But what they will do is show up at Internext and be treated like BROS by the piracy apologists out there.

I know 99% of you on this board don't produce any intellectual property so you could care less if content is being ripped off. I'd like it if you guys actually cared about respecting other people's rights as I'm sure you would appreciate having your rights respected. But I know there are some of you out there that have the basic human decency to respect that a person's hard work should not be exploited by others. Or at least you maybe have the vision to see that if a company is willing to stab someone else in the back, that they'll do the same to you if given the chance.