View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 PM  
WDF
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard View Post
Interesting idea really. However, you cannot force kids to learn. Some are just beyond help.

I know one kid who is going to be a Freshman next year. She's already told everyone that her plan is do as little as she could for the next two years and then drop out. She is going with this plan because she "doesn't want to embarrass her mother". (Too late.)

I do like this idea, however. Makes a lot of sense.

However, what about people like me? I dropped out of high school but eventually went on to college to get two (small) degrees.
I think if you enable some of the people that are not going to school an alternative to conventional school, using modern technology, you could reach a bunch of them.

I have seen it happen in front of my eyes recently. Drop outs that would never go back to school studying for the GED exams online. Put it on a computer and not make a big deal out of it being learning and the results may open some eyes, on both sides of the equation, both students and educators.

I dropped out at 16 to work an apprenticeship (remember those?) for 24 months then got my GED and enrolled in a technical college. I earned my tuition during my apprenticeship then continued my education.

We should never stop learning as long as we are alive.