View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 01:44 AM  
blinki bill
Confirmed User

If it's stream one way or another it can be ripped it's just how hard it's going to be. However I think that giving up on protecting is a mistake.

Personally I don't like the canvas method for protecting html5 video, it makes no sense as you put a hidden html5 player on the page which at the end results to just hiding the right click menu.

Reasonably good way of protecting html5 is:
1 injecting the video link to the player with js on dom ready (so that if js is disabled video won't play)
2 remove/replace the right click of the player with js (no download video link)
3 make a stream script that streams the files don't link directly
4 generate short life video link each time video page is requested and store cookie with token for that link

basically the stream script checks if the referrer is your own site, if the link id exists in the database and if the captured user data and cookie token match the database record for the link

I haven't seen anything using something like that out of the box, but have seen similar things custom coded on sites, I have a similar thing custom coded on some of my sites.

You can go further by splitting the file using the http ranges, and use the canvas method on top of all that
(ie you make a playlist with lets say 5 pieces of the same file and code your player to show a continuous progress bar for the full video not for each separate piece; this is the only part that is actually samewhat complicated)
blinki bill is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote