View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 AM  
chronik
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinki bill View Post
there is no silver bullet, html5 or not at the end of the day a no mater what you use the video can be ripped.

There is no security protection of any sort in the world that is 100% bullet proof, any security can be breached, this doesn't mean you should just abandon any effort to make things secure. I was working on a coding project once and one of the other developers made a plugin for the main system that was storing the user passwords as plain text in a cookie, on top of that it was disabling the ssl connection, when I called him to talk about that he was like "If a really good hacker wants to hack into user accounts he can do that anyway, it makes no difference"; I couldn't believe that was happening.

As someone else mentioned in another thread, people tend to think they have more rights over the content when they can download it, when it's protected even if they jump hoops to get it they are very aware that it's obtained illegally, it makes a big difference

So as a conclusion:
can you protect html5 video - YES
is it bulletproof - NO (nor is anything else)

The problem with online media is all it takes is one person to NOT have any problem with ripping your content, and then it's spread all over the internet. Just takes one person to make the initial rip, and then it's everywhere. It's hard for me to say if it's work taking a step into having only streamable videos, and protected, when the same problem will occur.
chronik is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote