View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM  
Relentless
www.EngineFood.com

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Bruce Lee wouldn't be on the same level as an Amateur MMA fighter about to go Pro. He was a movie star, not a fighter. So we should really take that out of the picture. Wrestling by itself would not fare well in MMA. As shown in earlier UFC fights, they were submitted, not knowing how to counter.
If you believe Bruce Lee would not have been a good fighter, I disagree but we have no way to test that so we can just leave it at that. However, I'm pretty sure you'd agree a guy like Aldo (even though he is much smaller) would still have a chance against a pure boxer... and guys closer in weight like Weidman, St Pierre, Jones, Couture and all the rest would have destroyed Tyson much the same way Couture wrecked Toney in less than one round.

People like to bring up Chuck Liddell as a pure boxer because most of his game was punches, but they fail to take into account how good his wrestling background was and how good his TDD was when he fought. I completely agree one dimensional wrestler is a BAD idea. However, if you could have only one dimension... Wrestling is the one you'd want as it's the only one that gives you any chance of scraping out a win all by itself. Hell it almost made Jon Fitch a champion, even if the crowd was yawning its way through most of his fights. And as a choice, Boxing is about the worst one dimension you could pick unless you are fighting another boxer in a boxing ring with boxing rules and boxing gloves.

Website Secure | Engine Food
ICQ# 266-942-896
Relentless is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote