View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 06:54 AM  
2MuchMark
Videochat Solutions

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nr4d View Post
Is it worth buying? It's around $250 here - is it decent enough to fuck around flying around the yard? Seems like the 50m wifi range is pretty low
Hi k0nr4d,

I have an AR Drone 2.0 and I like it a lot. All the other drones listed in here are better of course, but the AR Drone 2.0 is a perfect "starter" drone and is lots of fun. Here are the good things about it:

- Very easy to learn to fly
- Includes a decent video camera
- Broadcasts live video to your iPad or other Tablet or phone that you also use to control it with.
- Pretty tough! I've crashed it into trees, etc. Minor damage only.
- I've flown it as high as 30 meters high (about 300 feet)
- Fast and Maneuverable and cool looking.
- If you crash it, it is very easy to fix. It is light weight and pretty hard to cause serious damage to. All parts are available online.

Here's what's bad about it:

- The battery lasts only about 12 minutes, and takes about an hour to charge, but this is true of some other drones too. If you buy an AR Drone or other brand, buy 2 or 3 extra batteries and 2 or 3 extra chargers too.

- The range is low. It uses Wifi only to communicate with your iPad. This is enough to send it a block or so away from you but no more.

- If the drone loses its connection to you, it just hovers and waits for the signal to be re acquired. However, if you add the GPS to it I think you can make it return to you.

- The camera is fixed, so you can change the direction. It also is not on any kind of gimbal or other stabilizer so the video is rocky especially if its windy.

I still play with my AR Drone 2.0 about 2-3 times a week for the past 2 years now so at $250.00 its definitely worth the money. My next drone will be something something better.

PS: The DJI's are not perfect. In the park near here about 2 weeks ago this guy was flying a DJI when it suddenly took off straight up in the air, quickly. He had no control over it. When it crashed it looked pretty bad. I don't know if it was damaged beyond repair but it looked like it.

Maybe do this: Start with an AR Drone and then when you're ready, sell it and buy a nicer one later. Regardless you'll love this hobby. It's lots of fun.

VideoChat Solutions | Custom Software | IT Support
https://www.2much.net | https://www.lcntech.com
2MuchMark is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote