View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 08:37 AM  
iSpyCams
Amateur Gynecologist

Industry Role:
I once read, and I can't remember where so not sure if it's a credible source, that hair's biological purpose is to provide a statement of a person's overall age, health and hygiene which is a signal to potential mating partners and helps us evaluate potential mates.

So for that reason I am dismayed, but not surprised at the lengths some people go to get as far away from their natural hair's look and behavior as possible, to me it just says they have a lot to hide - but I know that's not the case, it's peer pressure and the fashion industry telling them what they should look like.

In any case I would be happy to see black people comfortable and confident with their natural hair, not feeling like they aren't presentable if they haven't fried it with a sandwich iron. But I am aware it is pretty difficult to take care of and requires a lot of extra care, both because it's curly and tangles easily and also because it is softer and more delicate, and so it gets brittle easily.