View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 08:08 AM  
blackmonsters
Making PHP work

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsConstrued13 View Post
I don't care to have the government in my business. I've been with my significant other for well over 9 1/2 years. We have 3 children together, live together, etc. We have our ups and downs like everyone else. But we do it together. There's no reason that the government needs to tell us how much money to make because we are married or if we split up who gets which kids. It's our decision alone. I remember when I gave birth to my second child, they refused to let him put his name on her birth certificate. The reason: my own driver's license had expired days before. If anything about that makes sense, then I would probably have some faith in government regulations and standards, but no.. it doesn't.
The government may still be in your business though; because you have what some states call a "common law marriage".
The government can still apply a lot of "regular marriage" laws to you under those provisions.

You can actually file for divorce in court as you are, and it will be processed just like any other divorce.

But that all depends on what state you are in because many states no longer recognized
common law marriage.
But I swear, it seems like people can do whatever they want in court if a judge agrees.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/f...n-law-marriage