View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 02:48 PM  
Forkbeard
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkMatty View Post
As of August 1, we are 100% migrated
Hey, Matt. After responding to your earlier post this sort of turned into my day to deal with unresolved Kink.com issues, so I've filed a number of support requests following up on old issues and started to inventory the mess of broken links in my archive of 15k blog posts. I've known since the migration of everything into channels at Kink.com from the individual domains that I had a considerable mess of broken links on my hands, but running my mouth this morning without having good specifics was an uncomfortable feeling, so I have been doing an inventory ever since. Really your comment that the migration was complete was the trigger for me to check to see if various broken things had ever gotten fixed.

One of my support tickets opened today was about a group of older-style NATS links that begin with aff. instead of www. That style was in use for a few years starting in 2008 or so, and some of them (especially sex and submission and ultimate surrender links) are going 404 instead of mapping through to the new channels. The same link style is working fine for some of the other channels, but there are still a lot of broken links on my sites due to this. Hopefully support will be able to get them fixed.

I also ran though the vintage KinkyDollars link generating interface to try and inventory broken stuff. Some of the reasons behind the breakage are obvious (sites that are replaced to some degree by the Kink Unlimited product) but the recommended affiliate URLs and my base of installed links are in many cases going 404 instead of redirecting, properly or otherwise. Sites affected include:

3D Kink (affiliate links in vintage KinkyDollar interface appear to still work; site is not present as a channel on Kink.com so future sales tracking in Beta interface is unclear)

Free Hardcore (affiliate links in vintage KinkyDollar interface are 404; site itself redirects to Kink.com front page)

Kink Archive (never was a salable product due to lack of navigation links or search functionality, restricting surfers to content recent enough to page through -- affiliate links in vintage KinkyDollar interface are 404, site itself redirects to Kink.com front page)

Kink Forums (affiliate links in vintage KinkyDollar interface are redirecting to main Kink.com page and not to the current forums)

Kink Men Archive (affiliate links in vintage KinkyDollar interface are 404, site itself redirects to Kink.com front page)

Kink On Demand (most recent format affiliate links in vintage KinkyDollar interface are all 404, site itself redirects to Kink.com front page. Older-format installed affiliate links are a mixed bag, at least some of them appear to take surfers to the correct shoot in the kink.com product.)

Pissing.com (affiliate links in vintage KinkyDollar interface redirect to a 404 page at the PissingHD site operated by Kenny's Pennies, presumably without credit for the traffic; older-format affiliate links are the regular 404)

I will put in one more support ticket now with this information now that I've compiled it; this isn't the thread for worrying about that. But I wanted to include it here as part of the "you do not have to update your links" discussion.