View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 04:11 AM  
thommy
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEM View Post
J3rkules and Thommy -> one of you is looking at 30 days +, and the other 24 hours maximum. I think this warrants a bit more discussion. Would love to hear more about your position on cookies.
well the position is easy and a result of 20 years adult biz.
cookies are the best way to fuck (honest) affiliates and to fuck an affiliate programm on the long term.

we all know how many cookies spreaders are out there i just saw this days one with a popunder what included 95.000 cookies in the footer.

if you allow a longrun cookie, affiliates will not make money with your product and stop to promote them because they can switch to any other with no cookie or a policy what handles affiliate link over cookie. in the last case i ask myself why a cookie is nessecary.

the most case were a cookie makes sense is when a user keeps a landingpage in the background for a few hours. but after he close his browser he will not find the way back to this landing exept he got send from an affiliate again.

if you think about the sense of a cookie you will never get to the result, that an affiliate who have send the user 2 weeks ago is more or in any way responsable for a sale.
the one who actually send the user is the one - and if HE does not have a reason to send him (because he knows about cookies) he will not do it.

on longterm that fucks the affiliate programm and when the affiliate programm is fucked all the honest affiliates are fucked too because they will not get paid anymore from a dead programm.

marketing is kind of war - and a war is not won by the first strike it is won by the last strike. only that creates enough competition and challanges for everyone who is willing to get his ass out of the bed to work.

the other point is that affiliate marketing the way it was yesterday is dead.
there is a handful big boys left who are generating MASSES of traffic AND market it
but the majority of them is just focused on either generating traffic OR market traffic.

one medium mediabuyer is replacing 500 small affiliate-traffic-webmasters and here it makes sense and safe costs for an affiliate programm to invest.

none of this guys will ask you to lower a minimum payout from 100 to 50 dollars and none of them will promote you if he knows that you have a cookie policy (except he is a cookie spreader).

the right concept for every affiliate programm is to comapre with the security announcement in a plane: help yourself before you help other passengers. because a dead affiliate programm does not have any value for anybody.