View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 PM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

I'm not sure how knowing or talking to people who are here illegally will affect whether or not the wall is effective. That said, over the course of my life I have known a few people who admitted they were undocumented and I have spoken to many others I suspect were. I live in a small town that is surrounded by farms so during the summer we have a big influx of laborers, most of which I am confident are here illegally.

The reason I think the wall is a waste of money is that of the two I knew that were undocumented, both came here legally as a tourist then never went back. It's estimated that at least half the undocumented people in this country came here that way. The wall will do nothing to stop them and likely will have us seeing more of those types of people. The wall might stop a few people from just walking across the border into the US, but I just don't think it is going to stop very many. One of the reasons is that there simply aren't enough people to patrol a wall. There are over 1,400 open requests for new border patrol agents and they can't get enough qualified people to fill those spots.

I personally think we would be better off if we put the money and effort that would be going to a wall into doing a couple other things. First, change the anchor baby law so kids born here aren't automatically US citizens. Second, crack down on employers who hire them and make the consequences for doing so very serious. If people know they can't come here and have a kid that they can then use to get on welfare and/or that they aren't going to be able to find a job, it will stop a lot of people from coming here.
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote