View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 01:28 AM  
BigFurry
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I stand corrected guys. There is such a thing as too many cookies for one domain, never came across it before.

Browser Cookie Limits

According to this, currently Chrome can have 180 cookies per domain, Firefox 150 per domain, Internet Explorer 50 per domain, Safari no limits.
They recommend staying under 50 per domain and max 4KB per domain.

It's a per domain limit. So NATS programs and most others, have no chance of reaching the limits, as each program uses a different domain.
It could come up sometimes with CCBILL as they place all sites under their own domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFCash View Post
hitting 40 or 50 sites that actually run thru ccbill for the cookie tracking, I always get a (http 400 - bad request) error when going to the ccbill join page, I then have to shut down my browser and sometimes I have to clear my cache/cookies to get it back to working

So maybe there can be too many cookies ??? It's a reproducible effect that I can make happen over and over again, so it wasn't just a one time fluke.

Then I got to thinking about how many surfers probably hit that many different sites in a surfing session, and also get a 400 error when trying to go to the join page.
My guess is your browser is sending a very big request because of all those cookies and CCBILL's server isn't set up to handle a request this big properly.

I don't think those limits above are really threatening for tracking normal users, they are quite high. I'm actually more worried about whether they always place the cookie. With the old join pages, you can check for the "ccbill_referer" field in the join form, which should have your affiliate ID. I found it to be missing many times.
This cannot be checked at all anymore in the new FlexForms join pages.
BigFurry is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote