View Single Post
Old 02-27-2023, 08:51 PM  
lockept93
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHungLo View Post
The problem is, someone is deciding that. Someone is deciding that you can't display a nazi symbol. Someone is deciding that you can show a Russian Z flag. And that's where the problem arises when you do not have a constitutional right to free speech. Someone could very well decide you will be arrested for wearing a Maga hat. Our constitution forbids the government to be the arbiter of speech and I'm thankful for that.
Just to be clear, free speech IS a main part of the german constitution and politics can't just forbid things. There is a constitutional court that often enough decided that the ruling party need to change something or is not allowed to bring up a new law, when it does not fit with the constitution. There is a shared power system exactly for the reason that no dictator can ever again overcome this country.

The "Z" situation is new and pretty everybody want it to be forbidden. The current law that "protect" this decision (still not everywhere in ger as far as I read) is based on a law that forbids the support of illegal actions. And the attack of russia is in our eyes a illegal action (I don't know whats the right translation of "Völkerrecht" - google say "international law"). It's nothing a local party tried to use or something and there no germans try to use it - only a few russians living here. To not give a plattform for the propaganda. It's nothing else like sanctions like banning RTnews.
I don't know if it would hold in constitution court, but nearly everyone want it and there is no case someone try to fight it. As I said its pretty new cause the situation and the people force the gov to forbit this shit here. It's not like u have a 50/50 option about that here. The main reason is that it crazy close used like the swastika, if there would be a lot of germans, let's say 1% that really don't think it's right to forbid that, there would be first a big discussion and a law suit through instances until it lands on the highest court, the constitution court.
Here u see a list of the current situation (u need scroll down to international censure)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_(military_symbol)

As u see its mostly a thing in the closer country area, just cause nobody want russia spread there it's propaganda. But still not really big everywhere, more like a first decision to handle this situation.
And tbh as far as I read is russian propaganda also banned in many cases in the US. There is a huge difference in something coming from your own people and something that a different country try to spread over your country. Closing and banning russian bots to stop misinformation is not hurting any free speech rights, anyway Im sure USA and Germany citizens don't want this shit here. Would it hold on both highest courts? I dont know. But who cares if everyone in the country dont want it.
lockept93 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote