Thread: DVD Sales?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 08:18 AM  
Eva75

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinallitsforms69 View Post
Thanks, Eva75.
I guess you know that even if the DVD cover says Filmed in HD, the DVD data itself cannot be greater than 576 if in PAL format or 480 in NTSC format, as opposed to HD at 720 or Full HD at 1080. I bought a couple of DVDs that said Filmed in HD, and had hoped that they would magically be 720 because of some change to the DVD technology! Kind of a sneaky way for a company to get more sales!

Here is a story of how I was able to get an HD version filmed back in 2005.

I like the model Sophie Strauss, and she was in a DVD called Bellezza Video Vol 1, filmed in HD (720) in 2005. Although I had purchased the DVD (480), I also wanted to get the HD version. So about a year ago I did some online research on Bellezza. I then subscribed to Amber Chase's OF account. Amber owns the rights to Bellezza Videos, and after I asked her about it, she said she had a digital copy of the original HD version! So I offered her $75 for my own copy.

It is fun to acquire something you thought was extinct, or impossible to find.

I looked up your Tennervision at LuckyStarDVD and found that all 6 DVDs were sold out, and all were from the reference year 2005! I am not allowed to send a link as I do not have enough posts here for that permission.

There is one great secret that is sometimes used by a studio to give us HD on a DVD. They put the HD scene(s) on a DVD-R, instead of on a standard DVD-Video disc. I did once acquire a DVD title that included the 480 disc and also a DVD-R disc that had an HD (720) wmv file of one of the scenes on it. That was kind of impressive!

You can even put a 4K video on a blank DVD-R and watch it on your computer. But of course it won't play on a DVD player. As I understand it, the DVD-R approach is not the same approach used for the obsolete format called HD DVD.

A dual-layer DVD can hold about 8.5 GB of data. But for smooth 4K playback, it might be best to transfer the data to a hard drive first. A DVD can hold about 9.8 Mbps of video data, if we allow for the audio data too, although it is common for a DVD to be encoded at about half that bit rate.

I think it would be cool for a studio to release a 4K scene as a one-scene DVD-R.

Maybe add in a BTS interview of the model(s) and get personal again.
It could function as a ready-made archival DVD for collectors, too.

Thanks.
film in HD well on the DVD it will be in 720×480 so there is indeed a copy of the Film in HD which could have been released in BR if the studio wanted it or proposed on Aebn etc
Eva75 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote