GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   Fucking Around & Business Discussion (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Tech Preferred WordPress membership options... (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1181352)

mike_d 12-21-2015 11:48 AM

Preferred WordPress membership options...

Hey guys.

I've been around for a while and used a few different solutions in the past for creating memberhsip paysites with WordPress as the CMS.

I used MagicMembers about 4 years ago, but to be honest. It sucked...

At the moment I mainly use 2 WP instals and have member management over one of the WP install directories.

Ideally, I would prefer to have this as one single install.

So what are peoples recommendations that they have used well?

MagicMembers been improved lately?
aMembers?
Other solutions?

Any hige difference/selling points over one, to another?

Cheers

j3rkules 12-21-2015 12:08 PM

Did you try WooCommerce Memberships? It runs smooth, easy to handle.

mike_d 12-21-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkules (Post 20675468)
Did you try WooCommerce Memberships? It runs smooth, easy to handle.

Looked into this before, but think they've added new functionality since I last looked.

Does it play nice with ccbill as recurring payments?

mike_d 12-22-2015 07:13 AM

Overall, is there a solution that has
Ccbill integration
Secure downloads (so none members can't download via direct links)
Protect specific posts to specific membership levels etc
Can help with stopping user/pass sharing

The only one that seems to do this all in one is MagicMembers - but just a little unsure as it wasn't great a few years ago...

JasonCollins 12-22-2015 07:30 AM

Most of our WordPress users are using aMember. One of our merchants here on the board has also developed a plugin for Verotel + WooCommerce. :2 cents:

mike_d 12-24-2015 05:14 AM

With whichever plugin option I look into, how do the file protections options hold up?

If a none member gets a direct link to the file on the server, is this protected through the plugin?

CHMOD 12-24-2015 10:07 AM

I have had many clients trying all type of WP plugins to manage memberships :
At the end, they all restrain you.

The best way is to have a WP installation for your public webpages and another WP installation for your members area. You then protect it with either htacess or any other type of protection. You let your biller handle the members logins.

mike_d 12-24-2015 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMOD (Post 20678183)
I have had many clients trying all type of WP plugins to manage memberships :
At the end, they all restrain you.

The best way is to have a WP installation for your public webpages and another WP installation for your members area. You then protect it with either htacess or any other type of protection. You let your biller handle the members logins.

Thats the exact way im doing it at the moment, i wanted to switch it to more database driven as it would allow me to offer even more price point, trials with limited content etc.

At the moment, you gain full access to the members site, or none of it at all.

- For now, i CAN see a way that MagicMembers and aMember protect direct download links if you offer them, but no way to then protect any of the direct links to the video/photo files to none-members

CHMOD 12-26-2015 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_d (Post 20678214)
Thats the exact way im doing it at the moment, i wanted to switch it to more database driven as it would allow me to offer even more price point, trials with limited content etc.

At the moment, you gain full access to the members site, or none of it at all.

- For now, i CAN see a way that MagicMembers and aMember protect direct download links if you offer them, but no way to then protect any of the direct links to the video/photo files to none-members

I see! I can't help you with that, unfortunately. I am not familiar with these 2 plugins enough to know if you can achieve what you want with them.

mike_d 01-18-2016 05:49 PM

Just a quick update for any guys that may find this!

MagicMembers | There are still LOADS of issues with the plugin, from speed, to functionality, to theme incompatibalities, and fairly slowish responses from support.

Ive taken a look into a new plugin, which so far I would highly recommend, is:
S2Member | Security seems smarter and more locked down, and there is extensive, simple support documents

So far, so good. Anybody else have any advice or recommendations - Happy to hear!

videosc 03-15-2016 05:24 PM

Thanks for keeping this thread active. I'm interested in this info also.

videosc 03-15-2016 06:42 PM

Uh-oh, just looked at S2Member and saw this:

what-do-i-need-to-know-about-the-ccbill-phaseout

PirrTaste 03-16-2016 09:40 AM

Thanks for the information guys. I use Wordpress for everything .

videosc 01-09-2018 11:59 AM

Not sure if the OP Mike D will see this but I was wondering what he ended up using. Did he ever try AMember and what did he think about it?