GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   Fucking Around & Business Discussion (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How do you handle backups on self managed servers? (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1375494)

mrmister 05-17-2024 03:09 AM

How do you handle backups on self managed servers?

Hi all

Do you guys upload it to another server via a cron script or do you download it locally?

SevY 05-17-2024 03:35 AM

Depends on the project/content

Code:
I always have one or more git repos for my code

SQL:
Standard shell script with weekly/daily/hourly cron triggering and upload to Google Drive.

Static:
Depending on the size I use to backup all the static content by zipping small files and direct downloading big ones, all done by shell scripting. Again if the size is reasonable I use online backup space, otherwise I backup on my local Synology NAS and I mirror it on BackBlaze B2.

Despite all of this there are projects I simply don't back-up since they aren't worth the effort.

k0nr4d 05-17-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmister (Post 23264411)
Hi all

Do you guys upload it to another server via a cron script or do you download it locally?

Depends really on what you are backing up, how much data and how often it changes.

On our dev server what I do is every day create Monday.tar.gz, Tuesday.tar.gz, etc and upload it to an s3 storage overwriting the previous day so I have a 7 day rolling backup.

On a client's cam site where there's lots of financial transactions we do a dump every 3 hours and upload similarly with a 7 day rolling backup.

If I was running a paysite i'd backup the videos/thumbs incrimentally separately from the code and db.

In some cases it's cheaper to get a cheap machine from OVH and backup to that plus then you always have a "spare server" in case shit hits the fan and you need to get something back up quickly.

fris 05-17-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmister (Post 23264411)
Hi all

i use runcloud.io with my servers, they have backup integrated into the platform.

HostedinVegas 05-17-2024 02:31 PM

Do you have a control panel? If so 90% of them have a backup utility built into them.
What I do is have it backup to a local copy example /backups then I will rsync that to another server.

If you don't have a control panel, then something as simple as a several cron's one for a mysql dump ( or dumps ), one to tar up a directory, then to copy that tar to another folder, then a third one to rsync it offsite.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks,
Anthony

CurrentlySober 05-17-2024 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0nr4d (Post 23264461)
we do a dump every 3 hours...

I'm impressed ! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Wish I could go every three hours... :2 cents:

2MuchMark 05-17-2024 04:46 PM

Create 1 backup to the cloud, and another one to on premises. Pm me and I will show you how.